Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Reminders!

Some of the things I've learned over the soon to be two years that I've had my little Tinkerbell, are that you cannot demand a Parrotlet do something and that remembering to praise the little things is very important!

When I say you cannot demand a Parrotlet do something, I mean you can't just shove your finger in front of them and expect them to step up every time! That is a sure way to get your fingers eaten by angry little chickens!

I find I get the best response out of Tink by asking what I want of her beforehand and then again just before I ask her to step up with my finger in front of her. It might seem silly to repeat oneself like this, but she seems to prefer a warning of what exactly is coming (especially if I am going to be handling her or flipping her over).

This also applies if I want to give her head cuddles. I've trained her that "Be nice" means I want to give you cuddles and don't want to make you mad so if you would like, please tilt your head and fluff up your feathers. If not, it's all good too. This is one I would really like to catch on video to show, since how we do it is pretty funny.

I also think it's very important to remember that even "Step Up" is trick and does deserve some recognition. I know there are times when Tink and I will have trouble with a new trick and it makes her really happy to do one (like "Step Up") that she already knows really well. It's almost like saying, "Hey little one! It's OK! I know you already know a lot and it's not the end of the world if you don't get this right away!" It's also very important to end on a high note! Nobody likes to feel bad about what they're learning!

I still have the bath time video which I want to do a written piece for with some extra tips I didn't mention! That will be making it's way onto my blog really soon!

Have a wonderful day! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment